Thursday, July 06, 2006

Package load failures

Today I encountered a problem where I was unable to successfully complete the SSIS Import Export Wizard and I arrived at the conclusion that it was due to a package load failure in VisualStudio. I assumed this because none of the items would appear in the toolbox for this type of project and when attempting to Reset All Settings through the Import and Export Settings Wizard I got a package load failure. I was able to resolve the problems with VS by following the steps outlined on Aaron Stebner's WebLog. This site was very helpful.

After that was done I also had to reinstall SQL Tools to have the Business Intelligence Projects be available in VS again. I was unable to do that because I still had the CTP installed and the release version would not proceed with the installation. It happened because the previous uninstaller for VS removed the entry in the Add / Remove programs window but left the actual proggram on the system. So I found a post called Cannot Install SQL Server 2005 on MSDN Forums with an answer to resolve the issue and the solution involved removing the CTP by using the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. I was then able to continue installing the final release of SQL.

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, August 30, 2011 1:27:00 PM , Blogger Chad said...

My instance of Visual Studio 2005 had some packages referencing missing assemblies and it would crash whenever I opened the Tools->Options screen. After running the MS install cleanup utility the crash stopped and I was able to safely disable the bad packages.

Thanks!

 
At Tuesday, August 30, 2011 1:30:00 PM , Blogger Brandon said...

I'm glad this helped someone! That's why I posted it. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home